Responsible Innovation Business Reporting Tool for AI SMEs
YAGHMA actively researches in Artificial Intelligence (AI) impacts on ethics and society, looking to analyze and assess the ethical and societal impacts of AI throughout the AI’s lifecycle. In 2020, YAGHMA melded the two ambitious topics of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) and AI to develop an RRI Business Reporting Tool for AI SMEs.
The RRI Business Reporting Tool
The tool aimed to provide SMEs in AI with a solution that enabled evidence-based decision-making. The tool outlined a three-step process, 1) conducting principled prioritization on RRI for an SME to act and report on, 2) setting business actions, linking business actions and the indicators and analyse performance, and 3) offering relevant and practical tips for the users on reporting and improving RRI performance (user guide), to embed RRI in the businesses existing reporting processes. The guide also set out to support AI businesses in a six-step action plan toward achieving AI business reporting:
- List of RRI Principles: Identifying material RRI principles based on assessments of their impacts on a given business, internal and external stakeholders, and society.
- List of RRI priorities for RRI system: Identifying material RRI priorities for a given AI SME based on an assessment of their impacts on the business, internal and external stakeholders, and society.
- List of possible relevant business actions: Business to address and report on all business actions. Associated business action should then be monitored and assessed over time.
- Documentation: Reporting against the material RRI priorities (both qualitative and quantitative) for the SME.
- Scoring: Score business actions based on stairway level from a minimum standard (level 1) to leading edge (level 5) for each pf the material RRI priorities.
- Evaluation and improving reports: Grouping average scores across all material RRI priorities, evaluation of the business reporting, re-managing material RRI priorities, and carry improving impacts.
Through the list of indicators relevant to AI SMEs, the guide ultimately helps them to take control of non-commercial issues of their AI systems. The guide helps implement an in-house monitoring tool in a resource-efficient way, and leads businesses towards a trustworthy AI strategy. Through globally recognized AI governance frameworks and further research, YAGHMA has conducted material analysis and identified SMEs’ material RRI priorities specific to their AI systems. Beyond regular communication to stakeholders, effective business reporting is key to building trust and aligning investment through transparency and accountability. Our guide helps AI SMEs grasp their research and development, technical feasibility and commercial potential to develop their innovative ideas into credible business reporting. At the same time, the guide aims to measure and monitor the businesses progress. YAGHMA encourages you to get in contact to find out how you can achieve AI business reporting for your SME.
For more information about the RRI Business Reporting Tool, contact Emad Yaghmaei.
Senior Research Consultant
Mobile: +31 6 82 42 55 39